Learning and memory in the brain
(c) Tous droits réservés Domitille Roger; Cherine Fahim Fahmy 2022
Cette œuvre est sous licence Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.
The building blocks of a human healthy life are assembled in the brain. Cognitive and emotional neural systems interact based on genetic and epigenetic factors, hence entangling our experiences for better or for worse. During childhood and through adolescence traumatic experiences may embrace our lifelong behaviours creating a shaky brain-behaviour relationship, hence affecting learning and memory. Fortunately, such a relationship is not static. In this course we will work together to understand how the human brain encompasses learning and memory during normal and traumatic experiences. Let’s discover together how these systems are organised in the brain!
- Cabeza, R., & Nyberg, L. (2000). Neural bases of learning and memory: functional neuroimaging evidence. Current opinion in neurology, 13(4), 415–421. https://doi.org/10.1097/00019052-200008000-00008
- Harnett, N. G., Goodman, A. M., & Knight, D. C. (2020). PTSD-related neuroimaging abnormalities in brain function, structure, and biochemistry. Experimental neurology, 330, 113331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expneurol.2020.113331
- Jeneson, A., & Squire, L. R. (2011). Working memory, long-term memory, and medial temporal lobe function. Learning & memory (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), 19(1), 15–25. https://doi.org/10.1101/lm.024018.111
- Kandel, E. R., Dudai, Y., & Mayford, M. R. (2014). The molecular and systems biology of memory. Cell, 157(1), 163–186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2014.03.001
- Miller E. K. (2000). The prefrontal cortex and cognitive control. Nature reviews. Neuroscience, 1(1), 59–65. https://doi.org/10.1038/35036228
- Miller, E. K., & Cohen, J. D. (2001). An integrative theory of prefrontal cortex function. Annual review of neuroscience, 24, 167–202. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.neuro.24.1.167
- Opitz B. (2010). Neural binding mechanisms in learning and memory. Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews, 34(7), 1036–1046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2009.11.001
- Phelps, E. A., & LeDoux, J. E. (2005). Contributions of the amygdala to emotion processing: from animal models to human behavior. Neuron, 48(2), 175–187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2005.09.025
- Reber P. J. (2013). The neural basis of implicit learning and memory: a review of neuropsychological and neuroimaging research. Neuropsychologia, 51(10), 2026–2042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2013.06.019